Reports to: Operations Manager
Supervise all production and maintenance personnel on one shift. Manage and directs the day-to-day activities of up to 25 employees. Responsible for all processes, equipment, employees, safety and housekeeping of these areas, in addition to meeting production quality and quantity standards on the shift.
- Organizes, plans and assigns daily work scheduled and job assignments. Allocates personnel, schedules overtime as necessary and determines work breaks in accordance with company guidelines, to meet operating objectives.
- Responsible for communicating with other supervisors from previous and following shift to ensure a smooth transition between shifts, and to alert the next shift of any problems. As well, as coordinates with other supervisors for any shift changes.
- Conducts or coordinates initial on-the-job training for new hires. Ensures all new hires attend forklift training and arranges for forklift refresher courses as needed. Coaches and develops all operators and lead operators to perform their job in an efficient, productive manner.
- Monitors attendance and productivity of production personnel. Ensures employees clock-in and clock-out their timecards. Responsible for approval/denial of production personnel time off requests.
- Participates in the hiring and termination process for production personnel. Administers disciplinary actions in accordance with company’s corrective action program. Completes necessary paperwork for personnel status changes as needed.
- Oversee collection of operating data, including consumption/production data, process control data, through puts and yields. Reviews information for accuracy and interprets real time operating data to ensure that production is operating within quality and production parameters. Takes action as needed.
- Manages inventory and material flow. Works with the Quality Control Lab to implement re-classifications to material on a daily basis.
- Responsible for safety awareness and reporting accidents in a timely manner. Ensures compliance of all safety procedures, safe operation of all equipment, proper use of personal protection equipment, and good housekeeping practices.
- Consistently monitors and initiates improvements to the company’s safety, environmental and quality systems, working in conjunction with the Operations Manager, QSE Manager and other company personnel.
- Participates in updating and improving operating procedures for the ISO9002 process as requested by the QSE manager.
- Identifies profit improvements opportunities and recommends action plans, to the Operations Manager, to improve the operating performance of the production line.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work any shift and weekends as well as cover vacation schedules of other supervisors.
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the job (prolonged physical exertions, including continuous visual attention, standing, reaching, bending, pushing, pulling, lifting up to 50lbs, carrying and climbing).
- Exhibit the ability to distinguish between various recyclable materials.
- Ability to work in various conditions with exposure to weather elements.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred. Ability to effectively communicate information both verbally and in writing.
- Three (3) to five (5) years previous related experience in an industrial/manufacturing environment or minimum one (1) year internal job experience with above satisfactory attendance and work record.
- One (1) to three (3) years’ experience in a lead or supervisory position. Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
- Light mechanical aptitude; ability to use hand tools; experience in forklift operations.
- Exposure to weather elements.
- Exposure to dust, noise, heat, cold, and fumes found in a shop environment.
- Exposure to equipment traffic.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee must be able to work a 12 hour shift, and occasional overtime.
- This position requires the employee to rotate from a day shift to a night shift every 6 months, as well as periodically cover vacation schedules of other shift supervisors.